Far Cry

So I have been playing through Far Cry instincts for the Xbox the past week or so, and here are my thoughts. Overall its a very fun game and worth playing, however being that it is a FPS on the Xbox, I cannot help but compare it to Halo (ahhhhh ahhhh ahhhh ahhhhhh......), but I'll get to that in a second.

First, the story that I have experienced so far is enough to keep you engaged to the game, but its a little lack luster in my opinion. The story in the few hours I've spent in the game can be summed up in less than 5 min. I have not finished the game yet though, so maybe there is much more to come. I'll give the game the benefit of the doubt....

The graphics are about as good as it gets on the Xbox. At times they can be quite impressive, and you will find yourself amazed and in awe that you ever played 8-bit systems way back in the age of the NES (I know it wasn't that bad, if fact it was a hell of a lot of fun, but admit it, if there was an xbox when you got your NES, you would want one).

The gameplay is kind of easy so far. I have read that it gets harder, but so far its been pretty easy. There is an auto aim system in the game that basically sets it up so that as long as you are close to hitting the guy, the game just assumes the hit. The AI of the computer is alright, not the best, but not too bad. My main gripe about the enemies is the animations when they die. They get the job done, but I've seen better on the Xbox. Once the enemies are dead, its not uncommon to see arms or legs sticking through the ground :-(. In the game's defense though, it can get really fun to play. There are several unique elements to it that never get old. For instance, it's always fun to, use your special animal abilities, set traps, and stab guys in the back. There is something very satisfying about sneaking up on a guy and knifing him in the back.

I have spent maybe 20 min with multiplayer in Far Cry. I tried to give it a chance, but I just couldn't resist the urge to throw in my copy of halo 2 and go at it on XBL. It just isn't as polished as Halo is. In order to really review the multiplayer I'll have to try it again......That is if I can get my copy of Halo 2 out of my xbox ;-).

Overall Far Cry is a very fun game to play, and I would recommend checking it out if you are a FPS fan. It's no halo replacement, and its not going to revolutionize the game industry anytime soon, but it is very entertaining (and isn't that the whole reason you have an xbox in the first place?). The physics and gameplay are polished and just feel right and solid in halo. Far Cry is good, but not as great as Halo. If you are looking for a change of pace and maybe a new game to play through and have some fun with, then you will like Far Cry. If you want a game that you can play that can scratch your Halo itch, then you will probably be disappointed. That said, I think Target has Far Cry advertised around 30 bucks this week. It's worth 30 bucks if you want to have some fun waxing fools for a while outside of the Haloverse.

Comments

Popular Posts