Nintendo wants GTA on the Wii

The only thing I've thought about since I first heard about the Wii was, "It sure would be swell to play some Grand Theft Auto on it" but due to Nintendo's lack of love for the "beat-a-hooker-and-rob-people" genre of games, I knew for a fact that I would not be able to fulfill my GTA/Wii dreams. According to the face of Nintendo's future, Reggie Fils-Aime, my wish may someday be granted after all.

That showing brought to mind the most potent third-party franchise that appears on any system but those made by Nintendo: the Take Two-published "Grand Theft Auto." Microsoft score a coup announcing in May that October 2007's "GTAIV" will arrive on Xbox 360 at the same time it comes out for PS3. But Nintendo has never hosted a "GTA" on a home console. Nintendo's leaders used to dismiss the series and tell the press it did not represent the future of games. Said Fils-Aime: "We're reaching out to every publisher, frankly every day. I'll be spending some time later today with the folks over at Take Two to see what type of support they can give our console. ... The fact is there will be M-rated content on the Wii console. EA has already announced that they're bringing 'The Godfather' to our console. And we want every single best-selling game to be available on Wii. Whatever that content is."


I imagine the talks between Take-Two and Fils-Aime goes something like this:

*ring, ring!*
TT: Hello?
RF-A: Hey...it's me again. What are you guys up to?
TT:Ummm, nothing...just working on GTA 4.
RF-A:Really? What a coincidence! I see that you're testing it out on the PS3 and Xbox 360 dev kits, where's the Wii dev kit?
TT: What do you mean you "see" our dev kits. Are you watching us?
RF-A: No, no I was just...ummm.....ok, yes, yes I am. But please don't freak out, I just happened to be in the neighborhod.
TT:Sure you did. As far as our Wii dev kit goes, it's in another room being used to test our Super Family Extreme Ping Pong game.
RF-A:That sounds nice. So what's up with GTA, can we get some of that?
TT:I have my finger on 9-1, go ahead and ask me again...
RF-A:I'm just saying...everyone and their mom, and their mom's mom will have the Wii. Just think about it for me, please?
TT:We'll talk about it...you have ten seconds to get away from ou parking lot.
RF-A: ok, ok....What do you think you're favorite Wii game will be? I think mine will be GTA 4, if you catch my drift. With Wii's unique control and ass kickery, it would rock.
TT: goodbye reggie.
RF-A: ok fine...stalk you later.
*click*

[game news mecca, mtv]

Comments

Popular Posts